Riber Castle History
Having made his fortune by enticing the gentility to take the cure in cold baths at the Hydro Hotel, Matlock, John Smedley was determined to celebrate his success with a showy gesture.
The result, Riber Castle, built in 1862 on a lofty promontory to the south of the Derbyshire town, was not to everyone's taste.
A local poet, Sir John Summerson, remarked:
"Had Smedley employed a professional he would have got a house unmistakably, however crudely, shaped with a style - Italian Gothic or baronial. As it was, he produced an object of indecipherable bastardry - a true monster."
Nevertheless, generations of residents and visitors have come to love the dark silhouette of the castle. The fact that for the past 50 years it has been falling down makes them love it even more. Those who view it from the surrounding hills and dales refer to it as a "romantic ruin".
For more information see
Riber Castle to be Redeveloped
Cross Tower Ventures in Sheffield (0114 266 7171) purchased Riber Castle in 2000 with proposals to develop the site for residential purposes.
After five years of ferocious arguement permission was finally granted in March 2006 by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.
The redevelopment of the site comprises three main elements:
- the conversion of the former mansion into 26 apartments the cheapest of which will cost more than £175,000
- the conversion of seven outbuildings in the service courtyard and the reconstruction of a gatehouse to provide 10 dwellings
- the erection of 10 new "enabling development" dwellings within or immediately adjacent to the Castle grounds
An enabling development, which involves building new homes in places where they would not normally be allowed, is a concept championed by English Heritage as a way of securing the restoration of buildings at risk.
Where to find Riber Castle in The Universe
The Universe is mainly empty space with a scattering of galaxies.
- The Milky Way Galaxy
- The Milky Way Galaxy is mainly empty space with lots of stars.
- The Solar System
The Solar System is mainly empty space with a few planets and lots of asteroids.
We know a lot about the Solar System as it is our nearest star.
- Nearest planet to the Sun
- Between Mercury and the Earth this exhibits global warming that is out of control
The Earth is the only known planet in the Solar System that has life.
It is mainly molten with a solid iron and nickle core and a solid silicate crust.
The surface is mainly water with a scattering of a few major continents and lots of islands.
- The largest continent
- Consists of North and South America
- Bigger than most people imagine
This extends from Portugal and the British Isles in the west to Russia in the east.
Most countries are soviegn states.
- United Kingdom
To give it its full name - The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Nothern Ireland.
- Great Britain
Great Britain consists of three countries.
England is admnistered in counties.
- Riber Castle is in Derbyshire!
- Asteroid Belt
- The Andromeda Galaxy
- This is close to the Milky Way Galaxy
How to buy
If you are interested in this domain, email us at